Only a person entered in the register of certified engineers at the Slovenian Chamber of Engineers (IZS) may use the professional title of certified engineer in any form of official communication.
Professional tasks of a certified engineer include:
- construction and technical design of structures,
- participation in the elaboration of spatial planning documents in so far as they relate to their professional field, and
- carrying out construction, crafts and installation works, whereby:
- the professional tasks of a certified engineer in construction refer to:
- the professional field of construction, in particular
- elaboration of plans for building, geotechnical, transport and similar structures of buildings and other construction works and for other spatial planning operations, and their execution,
- the elaboration of construction plans for civil engineering works,
- the elaboration of static and seismic analyses, seismic hazard studies and geological geomechanical analyses of the underlying soil, and the testing of building materials;
- Professional tasks of a certified engineer in electrical engineering refer to:
- the professional field of electrical engineering, in particular to
- to systems, plants, equipment, machines and installations of production, transmission, distribution, transformation and accumulation of electricity, the use of electricity, protection against lightning and other overvoltage, protection against the negative effects of electricity, lighting, management, regulation, automation, measurement, control, signalling and supervision, protection against explosion and fire, technical security, media technologies, telecommunications and information technologies;
- professional tasks of a certified engineer in mechanical engineering refer to:
- the professional field of mechanical engineering, in particular to energy sector and installations in buildings and civil engineering works, technological equipment and plants, hydro-, thermo- and nuclear-energy plants, and transmission and distribution pipelines;
- professional tasks of a certified engineer in the field of technology refer to:
- the professional field of technology, in particular to chemistry and chemical technology, food, pharmaceutical, wood and textile technologies, metallurgy, sanitary engineering, zootechnics, biotechnology, technical product technology, and to forestry, and safety and health at work;
- professional tasks of a certified fire engineer refer to:
- the planning of fire safety measures
- professional tasks of a certified engineer in geotechnology and mining refer to:
- the professional field of geotechnology and mining, in particular to geotechnical structures, geotechnology, excavations and substructures for underground installations.
- the professional tasks of a certified engineer in construction refer to:
Professional tasks of a certified land surveying engineer refer to the carrying out of land surveying activities, which include:
- carrying out land surveying tasks in accordance with the regulations governing the recording of real estate, land surveying measurements and the tasks in accordance with the regulations on the national land surveying reference system,
- land surveying measurements related to designing, construction and use of structures,
- stakeout of structures,
- the elaboration of land surveying plans, control observations and elaboration of deformation analyses,
- data transformation between different national coordinate systems, and
- mapping, processing, analysis and interpretation of spatial data.
Professional tasks of a certified engineer in transport engineering refer to transport, in particular to:
- sizing horizontal elements of traffic areas,
- designing and elaboration of technology plans in transport,
- producing traffic studies and traffic models and mobility plans,
- planning of traffic signalling, transport networks based on traffic models and forecasts, roadblocks, public passenger transport networks and conceptual designs of transfer points (stops), and the designing of pedestrian areas and quiet traffic,
- planning and implementing measures to increase traffic safety,
- planning transport infrastructure,
- planning, development and implementation of transport technologies and intelligent transportation systems.
Professional tasks of a certified engineer also include:
- managing projects,
- supervising the construction of all types of structures,
- works management,
- elaboration of expert opinions, documents and studies in the professional field for which they are certified,
- consulting services to the contracting authority and the representation of the contracting authority,
- investment management.
Certified engineers are persons who meet the prescribed requirements and are entered in the register of certified engineers at the Slovenian Chamber of Engineers (IZS) and undergoes continuing vocational training. By entering the register, they become members of the professional chamber.
In providing services, the certified engineer is identified by a standard stamp bearing an identification number.
Persons who meet the prescribed requirements for a certified engineer or pursuant to the decision on the recognition of professional qualifications shall be entered in the register of certified engineers of the Slovenian Chamber of Engineers (IZS).
Upon the completion of a professional examination for entry in the register of certified engineers at the Slovenian Chamber of Engineers (IZS), the candidate shall submit an application on the prescribed form.
When the Slovenian Chamber of Engineers (IZS) establishes that the applicant meets the requirements for entry in the register, it carries out the entry, issues a certificate of entry in the register, and assigns a unique identification number, which does not change until the person has been removed from the register.
Within 15 days of entry in the register, the Slovenian Chamber of Engineers (IZS) shall:
- issue ex officio a membership card,
- deliver the standard stamp bearing the identification number and the indication of the type of services for which they are certified. The identification number shall be permanently linked to the stamp and must be used by the certified engineer when providing services.
Exception: SUSPENSION OF PROFESSIONAL TITLE
A person who does not provide professional services in any of the prescribed manners or who has no insurance taken out may be entered in the register of certified engineers upon request. On the basis of the decision, the Chamber shall enter the suspension of the professional title in the register.
Upon entry in the register of certified engineers, the Slovenian Chamber of Engineers (IZS) issues an invoice for the membership fee and the register managing fee. The amount of costs to be paid is available on the website of the Slovenian Chamber of Engineers (IZS).
- On the day of entry in the register the Slovenian Chamber of Engineers (IZS), a person becomes a mandatory member of the professional chamber. The obligation to pay the membership fee shall arise on the first day of the month following the acquisition of membership. The membership fee is valid until the end of the current year.
- The annual membership fee for members registered in the Chamber's directory is subject to change. Check the current amount on the Slovenian Chamber of Engineers (IZS)
Certified architects and engineers must engage in continuing professional development in their professional field in accordance with the general act on continuing professional development issued and supervised by the Chamber.
The omission of the continuous professional development is considered a disciplinary breach, which is subject to disciplinary sanctions according to the disciplinary rules.
Each year, professionals must collect the prescribed number of credits obtained through passive or active participation in training modules at the Chamber of Architecture and Spatial Planning of Slovenia (ZAPS), the Slovenian Chamber of Engineers (IZS), in professional and interest associations and other organisations in Slovenia or abroad, and by writing professional contributions.
Training sessions in mandatory content organised by chambers, professional and interest associations, and other organisations are approved in advance by the Education Commission and the credits are awarded, and the training sessions are published on the list of training sessions of mandatory content.
The list of training sessions is updated and published on the Chamber of Architecture and Spatial Planning of Slovenia (ZAPS) and the Slovenian Chamber of Engineers (IZS) websites at least twice a year.
Credits of training sessions that are not on the list and of the published articles are awarded after the application for the award of credits has been granted.
- Certificate of participation in training and entry in the register of certified architects at the Chamber of Architecture and Spatial Planning of Slovenia (ZAPS).
- Certificate of participation in training and entry in the register of certified engineers at the Slovenian Chamber of Engineers (IZS).
- Architecture and Civil Engineering Act (ZAID)
- General Legal Act on the continuing vocational training of chartered architects, chartered landscape architects and chartered spatial planners
- General Legal Act on the continuing vocational training of chartered engineers
Administrator of Legislation
- +386 1 478 70 00
Cross-border provisions of profession
A profession may be practised on a cross-border/temporary basis in the Republic of Slovenia by registering with the Slovenian Chamber of Engineers (IZS) according to the recognised professional qualifications under the general system of recognition.