The library assistant performs professional library work in general, higher education, special, school and national libraries. He or she must have the appropriate education and pass the librarian examination.
Passing the librarian examination is a condition for performing professional librarianship in a library or other organisation operating in the field of librarianship.
Candidates who have the appropriate education and have completed professional training can take the librarian examination.
Cost of the librarian examination: €100.00.
Annexes to the application:
- Statement of the responsible person of the library, which contains information on the candidate's education, on the duration and programme of professional training in the library and an assessment of the candidate's work to date.
- Copy of evidence of education (last completed school).
- Documentation on possible exemptions or documentation on any other passed exams in another profession.
- Copy of the librarian examination certificate proving that the candidate has already passed the examination or indicate the date of the examination (only for the differential exam).
- Certificate of passed examination
- Librarianship Act (ZKnj-1)
- Rules on the librarian examination
- Rules on professional titles in library services
Administrator of Legislation
Maistrova ulica 10
- +386 1 369 59 00
Librarian work can be performed by anyone who has at least a higher education obtained in study programmes of the second level in the field of librarianship.
Librarian work can also be performed by an individual possessing a higher education obtained in study programmes of the second level in other areas and who has completed a study programme for the advancement of librarianship of at least 20 ECTS credits from at least the following basic content: fundamentals of librarianship and library organisation, internal organisation and the work of libraries and information services and the use of library materials.
Librarian work can also be performed by an individual possessing a higher education obtained in study programmes of the second level in other areas and who has achieved at least 20 ECTS credits in education and documented achievements in the field of librarianship (the basics of librarianship and library organisation, internal organisation and the work of libraries, information services and the use of library materials).
- Evidence of education
A professional library worker who wishes to take the librarian examination must undergo the appropriate professional training.
The purpose of professional training is to acquaint the examination candidate with library services and to train him or her for independent professional library work.
The internship is undertaken at the employer library.
More information on professional training. (in Slovenian)