Pharmacist with a Master's Degree
Pharmacists with a Master's Degree are required to complete a traineeship programme, pass a professionalexamination, enter the register of health and allied professionals, and obtain a licence before they begin practicing the profession.
They may engage in private health care provision as legal or natural persons.
Areas of work of Pharmacists with a Master's Degree include:
- pharmacy services at the primary, secondary and tertiary levels of healthcare;
- laboratories at the primary, secondary and tertiary levels of healthcare;
- social medicine, hygienic and epidemiologic activities, and activities related to health and ecology;
- research institutes;
- social institutions;
- regulatory bodies.
Pharmacists with a Master's Degree engage in the following professional activities:
- the dispensing of prescription and non-prescription medicinal products for human and veterinary use; the dispensing of medical devices and other goods;
- consultations on the correct and safe use of prescription and non-prescription medicinal products for human and veterinary use and of medical devices and other goods;
- monitoring the correctness in prescribing, dispensing and storing medicinal products under their personal responsibility in the framework of their qualification;
- participation in treatment supervised by a medical practitioner (verification of the relevance and quantity of the prescribed medicinal products, their potential interactions and adverse reactions);
- the provision of pharmaceutical care in medication therapy and treatment methods with medical devices;
- the provision of pharmaceutical care in prevention and early diagnosis of diseases;
- the provision of pharmaceutical care in self-medication (assessment of a patient's health condition, decision on the type of consultation, and assessment of the self-medication treatment);
- the manufacture of extemporaneous and galenic medicinal products (also manufactured under special conditions) ensuring their quality, safety and effectiveness, as well as safety at work;
- the procurement, preparation and storage of prescription and non-prescription medicinal products for human and veterinary use and of medical devices and other goods;
- the implementation of pharmaceutical prevention programmes and health promotion;
- the drafting and keeping of records and documentation;
- participation in a healthcare team;
- reviewing of medicinal product use;
- reviewing of pharmacotherapy;
- the performance of and participation in research work;
- the quality control of medicinal products and pharmaceutical substances;
- the analysis and investigation of biological materials;
- the introduction of new applications on analysers;
- the taking, sorting, recording, preserving and storing of biological material and the control thereof;
- the provision of counselling to patients on the correct taking of biological material and potential preanalytical impacts.
Health and allied professionals are entered in the register after passing the professional examination.
Applications for entry in the register must be submitted to the Chamber of Nursing and Midwifery Services of Slovenia - the Nurses and Midwives Association of Slovenia (the Chamber - the Association) in 30 days of passing the professional examination.
Provided that all conditions for the entry in the register are met, the Chamber - the Association issues a decision and enters the applicant concerned in the register.
The register is kept in electronic form. The register includes the following data:
- full name,
- date and place of birth;
- permanent or temporary residence;
- data on the diploma, professional examination, specialisation and additional knowledge;
- dates and titles obtained in the areas of health care and teaching;
- membership in national and foreign professional associations;
- declaration regarding the exercise of the right to conscientious objection;
- other data required for tasks and public authority.
The entry in the register is mandatory for the following health professionals:
- nursing care technicians;
- nursing assistants.
The entry in the register and a valid licence are mandatory for the following health professionals:
- registered nurses;
- registered midwives;
- higher vocational college nurses.