Teacher in basic school (primary and lower secondary level)
Teacher in basic school carry out educational activities in primary and lower secondary education programmes for pupils from 6 to 15 years of age and adults.
Teacher in basic school teaches mandatory subjects in the first and second basic school cycles or one or several subjects in the second and third basic school cycles.
Teacher in basic school must have: a perfect command of the Standard Slovenian language, hold a relevant educational qualification as stipulated by this Act and other regulations and pass the professional examination in education.
Persons who work in education and training must pass a professional examination, which is performed orally and encompasses three parts that are taken in the following order:
- constitutional regulations in the Republic of Slovenia, EU institutions and their legal systems and regulations on human and children's right and fundamental freedoms;
- regulations in education and training;
- Slovenian written language, or in the case of professional workers in kindergartens and schools where Italian is the teaching language, Italian written language, and in the case of professional workers in bilingual kindergartens and schools, Slovenian and Hungarian written language.
At the oral exam, the candidate must prove detailed knowledge of the contents that apply to the area where educational work is implemented, and general knowledge of other contents.
An individual part of the oral examination takes maximum 15 minutes.
The candidate who wants to take the professional examination must apply with a form. The application is submitted directly at the ministry and sent by post.
Professional exam is taken in front of an exam commission with at least three members. The grade for each individual part of the oral exam and entire oral exam is passed or failed. The candidate passes the exam if all parts of the oral exam are passed. A certificate is issued after a passed professional exam.
When the exam is taken the first time, it is free of charge, any resit of the exam costs EUR 54.90 including VAT. Professional exams are implemented from 15 September to 15 July.
Applicants have never been:
- convicted res judicata of a premeditated criminal offence which is prosecuted ex officio, to an unconditional sentence of imprisonment for more than 6 months;
- convicted res judicata of a sexual offence.